Working For McDonald's

 

At the age of 16, both me and my parents decided that it was time for me to get myself a part-time job to earn myself a little extra pocket money and to start building up my CV for when I left sixth form. So, I went round all of my local stores and applied to places online but I wasn't really having any luck. That was until my boyfriend at the time suggested that he recommend me at his workplace; which was McDonald's. 
Of course I agreed and a few days later I had an email sitting in my inbox from the Business Manager, inviting me to an interview. I didn't know what to expect, so I chose my most formal clothes and tied up my hair, which I NEVER do haha, and walked - trembling - in to meet my (hopefully) new manager. I have to say, I don't know what I was worried about because he made me feel really relaxed, talking about my hobbies and asking what days I would be free to work etc. 
Anyways, I passed the interview and was offered a part-time job. Who knew that I would still be working there, full time, 3 years later! 



I started as a Crew Member on the headset on Drive-Thru. I remember my first day, watching my trainer greet the customers, take their orders and then send them to the next window. I remember being so scared to press the button when it was my turn that he had to do it a few more times before I plucked up the courage to finally do it myself; and when I did,  I remember having a little burst of confidence - something that I really lack in. 
From that day, my confidence grew and grew, to the point where I started to train new people and give other people tasks to do. This then gave me the opportunity to become a Crew Trainer. I never thought that I would get promoted as I was always quite a quiet person, however I jumped at the opportunity to help myself grow more as a person and also help myself grow in this career. Being a Crew Trainer meant that you had more responsibility in regards to training and leading areas. This forced me to become more confident around big groups of people and I can really tell the difference. Of course, I still have a way to go, but I am getting there. 
A few months ago, I was offered another promotion to Shift Manager. I was over the moon that my managers thought that I could do it, despite being more quiet than others, and I jumped at that opportunity too. The course was really interesting and gave me a much bigger insight into McDonald's, which I liked. I am also first aid trained and have level 3 qualifications now, thanks to this promotion. I was so scared on the BSM course as I didn't want to fail and despite everyone saying that I would do fine, I didn't believe in myself at all. But in the end, I came out with honours (90% or more), and had to have my picture taken haha; but I was really happy. Being a Shift Manager means having a lot more responsibility and having to lead a whole team of people on a shift, deal with complaints and make sure that your store is kept clean and safe. It has really put my confidence to the test and although I still need to be louder in terms of speaking out more on shifts, I feel like I'm doing an alright job, and I'm enjoying it, a lot. :) 


In April this year, I was given Employee of the Month. Things like this are great when you are working as you know that your work has been recognised and appreciated. So, in the little pack that they give you, you get a £10 voucher, a little certificate, a pen, a new badge, a keyring, a notebook and an eraser. I just think that it is a really nice idea, and I smiled when I was given it haha. 
Since then, I have also been nominated for Employee of the Quarter, which allowed me to meet new people who work in stores around the country - most of which I had never heard of haha. It was another nice bit of recognition and I think that McDonald's have got it right, as I'm not sure what other companies do things like this. 



At any job, you will meet people and make new friendships. At McDonald's I have formed loads of friendships with people, to the point where we even went on holiday together. It is a really nice working environment and I have met some lovely people who I can trust will be there for me, and who I can be there for as well. 
It isn't like those jobs where you only know your team and you may bump into other people at the coffee station and get to know them that way; here, you know your whole store as you work different shifts and get to know everyone. There are also crew events which allow people to mingle and get to know each other more which I think is a good idea. 

Overall, this job has allowed me to grow a lot as a person. It has brought me out of my shell a lot more than school and sixth form ever did. I was so shy when I was younger. To the point where I wouldn't even put my hand up in class to respond to a question, even when I knew the answer and no-one else did. I find it really hard to speak loudly or shout over people but at McDonald's you have to communicate loudly; you have to shout to the kitchen to ask how long your plain double cheeseburger is going to be, you have to shout to make sure that someone knows that you need shake mix. So this job has really helped me in a way that I didn't think that anything could and although I still stay quiet in meetings because I feel uncomfortable just blurting out my views in big groups, I am in charge of the welcome meetings for new crew members which puts me in a position where I have to do just that, and it is slowly helping even more. I really appreciate this job for that. 

It is a place where two days are never the same, and you are always learning new things. I like this as it means that I don't get bored or stuck in a rut where it is just the same thing, different day. You also get to work with a range of different people as McDonald's is a very diverse place to work, which I find really important and a nice aspect of working here. 

Although when I was 16, I was only looking for a part-time job, I have stayed here for 3 years now and I am planning to stay here for a lot longer to see where it can take me, as it is a job that I enjoy and I love the people that I work with. 
Even though people still have their views about working for McDonald's, they have never tried it so they don't know what it is really like and what you can really gain from it. So, hopefully I have managed to give a little more insight into it! :) 

Anyways, I have to get ready for work now haha, hope you all enjoy your weekend.

xx
Share:

10 comments

  1. Actually so interesting to see what it's really like cause I feel like lots of people have preconceived perceptions of working at McDonalds!
    Chloe xx
    thechloebarnes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly! I just wanted to put out there that it is a lot more than what some people believe it to be :) xx

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this story! I think it's great that you found people at work who you can hang out with and trust to be there for you.

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyouu :') Yeahh it is really nice when you can have fun with people on shift and also talk to them when you are feeling low

      Delete
  3. Great to hear you enjoy working there! I think more companies should reward employees and give them recognition like this and how lovely that you went on holiday with your coworkers :) x

    sophee.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Recognition is a big thing for me because it made me believe in myself more, and I'm sure that is the same for many other people! x

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear what it's like working there. Also, you look soooo cute!

    Joyce | Joycentricity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyouu :') and aww glad you enjoyed reading it x

      Delete
  5. That is so lovely to hear. I'm happy that you're feeling so well at your job and that it helped you improve so much! And wow, congrats on the employee of the month thing. Such an honour!

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyouu and yes I can't believe how far I have come to be honest :')

      Delete

© PaulaMarie | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig